Tuesday, 27 November 2012

Christmas Traditions

 
        On Friday I went to a baby shower for a woman in my church.  Instead of playing the usual baby shower games, we were given paper and told to write down our favorite Holiday tradition from either our own childhood, or from when we had kids. The plan was to inspire the guest of honor (or, the mother of the guest of honor?) with various Christmas traditions she could try with her (now) family of five. It was such a fun activity and I definitely suggest it for any sentimental Holiday gatherings of friends. 

        Listening to everyones stories has really got me thinking about my and Daniel's future children, and the Christmas traditions we will have with them.

     Of course last year I had grand ideas of wonderful Christmas traditions we would start our first year of marriage and continue the rest of our lives... but then life happened, namely Daniel's shop being burnt to a crisp and him loosing nearly all his Earthly possessions. Although we were deeply thankful that no one was physically injured in the fire, it kinda knocked us off our horse for a few weeks. 

      I can only pray that this Christmas Season goes a little smoother, and that we are able to start building some traditions and beautiful Christmas memories.  Below is just a list of traditions I like, feel free to try some out this year with your loved ones! 

Handmade advent calendars
   Growing up we had a felt advent calendar my Nana made for us. Last Christmas I spent a few hours tracing all the little pieces of felt to make my own, so it is definitely on my Holiday todo list!
   I also love this idea by Katie at A Beautiful Mess. Who doesn't want to open a little surprise every day? 
   
Playing and Singing Music
    This isn't one that my family ever did, but it is a tradition in Daniel's family to get together and play and sing Christmas carols. All of the Bouwers' play at least one instrument, so with eight kids plus Judy and Clarence, they make quite a band! I don't play any instruments well, but I love love love singing Christmas carols, so I am all over this tradition. 

Special Baking
      I LOVE baking! I don't, however, let myself do it very often because I know I will eat at least half of whatever I bake... not such a healthy idea. But Christmas is definitely an exception! I would really like to find two or three recipes that I can make every year, but at no other time of the year. That way they stay special and add to the anticipation of Christmas! Any recipe suggestions?

Carolling
    This is another one we never did when I was young [I have been corrected! We went once when my family lived in Smithers, B.C. I actually have vague memories of it now that my Momma has reminded me :) ], but I'd love to give it a try. Even if it was just to a few neighbours, giving us a chance to deliver a plate of Christmas cookies and a card, I think it would be a lot of fun and a beautiful memory for little ones. Of course there would have to be hot apple cider or hot chocolate when we got home! 

Gingerbread House (or whatever)
     My siblings and I loved making gingerbread houses when we were young. Actually my brother and I made a pretty rad one two years ago, so I guess we still do. Theres just nothing quite like getting covered in icing and trying to keep the roof from caving in to get you in the Christmas mood, am I right? 

Christmas Vinyl
      I have slowly been collection Christmas records, especially ones I listened to when I was little (hello Raffi!). Listening to Christmas music is such a huge part of Christmas for me, and I really want to make it part of the experience in my (future) kids lives.

Christmas Stories
    My mom read to my siblings and I much longer than most mommas do. It was a really lovely part of our bedtime routine, to lay on the floor or the couch while mom read us The Hobbit, or Red Wall, or Narnia. At Christmas we read a lot of Christmas stories. One thing I think I would like to do when I have children is read Christmas stories from the 1st to the 23rd, then on Christmas Eve read the story of the birth of Jesus from the gospels. With all the fuss around Christmas (and trust me I am one of the worst) I truly do want to keep Jesus' birth as the focus. 

Volunteer
    I used to do kettles. You know, the people with the bells where you drop your change as you walk out of Walmart? I did a lot of kettles. Sometimes I really hated them, like in high school when I did them at Quality Foods, every time the door opened you froze. But mostly I loved them. When I lived in Vancouver I did them 6 hours a day, 6 days a week for 3 weeks. At first I was so shy standing on the busy city streets, but by the time Christmas rolled around, I was standing alone in front of Chapters singing as loud as I could, and way more people were happily donating. I hope that as a couple, and later as a family, Daniel and I can make volunteering a big part of our Christmas traditions. Whether its doing kettles, serving at the soup kitchen, or buying gifts for needy kids, as long as we are doing something to take the focus off ourselves, even for a moment. 

Hopefully my ideas have sparked some of your own! Please share in the comments, I would love to hear everyones favorites, or traditions they would like to try! 

  Jordan



   

4 comments:

  1. Good ideas wife! I really like listening to and singing Christmas music. Caroling is a great idea if you can get a group of carolers who sing enthusiastically enough for people at the door to hear. Also, I'm glad you were able to turn off word verification for comments. Hopefully you won't get spammed now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to remind you of the time we actually DID go caroling along Alder Road with the Andersons one Christmas. We took jingle bells and wore our Santa and reindeer hats. It was lots of fun and ended at our house with hot chocolate and cookies. Just so you don't think that you totally missed out on caroling as a kid! ;) XXOO

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers, so don't be afraid to say "hi"!