Monday, 5 October 2015

Thanksgiving Week: Day 1

    If you are North of the border, Thanksgiving falls on the second weekend of October, unlike our southern neighbors who count their blessings in November. Personally, I love having an October Thanksgiving. It is the icing on the pumpkin-spice-cupcake of Autumn. 



   Thanksgiving is something I have been trying to practice more of. I keep picking up Ann Voskamp's book, One Thousand Gifts, and being reminded of how easily I can fall into the "want" mindset instead of the "thanks" mindset. This a little bit of thanks from today...

    Today was beautiful. In the morning while the kids were napping I went to get something out of the freezer for dinner, and as I stepped out our backdoor, the sweet smell of Autumn and the warmth of the sun made my heart jump a little. Forgetting my errand, I walked barefoot into our backyard and flopped myself down in the still-dewy grass, looking up at the vast expanse of blue sky. The reddening leaves of our oak and apple trees framed my vision, and for a moment I felt like all the stresses and sleepless nights, all the bills we have yet to pay and the dishes piled in the sink, all those things were so much less because the sky was so much more. I felt small, alive, and part of something big and grand. Today I am thankful for perspective. I am thankful that my reality is only one tiny piece of reality in it's entirety. I am thankful for small moments that set a tone of joy for the rest of the day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from readers, so don't be afraid to say "hi"!