When I started to wonder about gardening through the winter, I found a few tutorials and created a way to redeem my ever-so-slightly green thumb! Enter Mini Greenhouses! Daniel and I are now growing an assortment of lettuce and spinach. It's been about a week and a half, and they have sprouted beautifully!
If you want in on some fresh veggies all winter long, you will need:
-Clear plastic containers or "clamshells" (the kind you can buy strawberries or salad greens in) with lids
-Potting soil
-Lettuce and/or spinach seeds
-A spray bottle
-Knife
-Sunny window
1. If your containers don't already have drainage holes, use your knife to cut a few gashes.
2. Fill your containers half to three-quarters full with potting soil, and plant your seeds (check directions on the package for planting).
4. Place your mini gardens on a sunny windowsill where they will get lots of light and wont get too cold (all our windows are single pane or have broken seals, so ours live in the kitchen since it's the warmest room in the house).
5. Five days later when your seeds start to sprout, remove the lids and tuck them underneath as the water catchers. If you have an attached lid, just snip it off and proceed.
6. Keep your garden watered daily, but be sure not to drown the little fellas'. I find using the spray bottle works well.
7. In 3-4 weeks your first harvest should be ready! Just clip the leaves off, leaving the bottoms and roots in place.
8. Two weeks later you should have yet another harvest, and so on.
I hope you all have found this helpful, it might seem like a lot of work at first, but food you grow yourself tastes soooo much better, so I am pretty sure it is worth it!






What a great idea! And those little green fronds are just so darn cute in the beginning...love the photos :)
ReplyDelete