Wednesday, 5 September 2012

Something New

I have a confession to make: this is not my first blog. In fact I have had a few different blogs over the years, usually tracking certain phases of my life. That's why I started a new one, because of this new phase adventure! 

  If you don't know me, as in you are not my mom or another family member or friend, then you wont know all the changes that have happened in the last year. So I'll fill you it! Just over a year ago, I married a pretty rad dude named, Daniel. He is my favorite fellow, and I have loved spending our first year married. Just a few days after our wedding, Daniel started teaching a grade six class. It was his first year out of university in seven years, and we were to thankful that he was given a teaching job almost immediately after finishing his degree. It did, however, cut pretty deeply into our "honeymoon" time. 

  That same week we moved to Comox, and began making our sketchy little rental into a live-in-able home. While Daniel wrote lesson plans, I painted walls, scrubbed ceilings ( if you could have seen the color difference on my ceilings, you'd never be tempted to smoke again!), cleaned cupboards, and washed windows. Our little house by the sea's make-over took me about three months, which is when Daniel and I adopted our pup, Cheza. Cheza is a Swahili word I learned while in Kenya. It means "to play" and "to dance". When I heard it I was already dreaming of getting a dog, and decided THAT would be the perfect dog name! At about the same time  I started nannying for two little girls. They were wonderful kids, and loved my tiny Cheza. 

  When January rolled around, I felt I had a real grasp on what I wanted to do, career-wise, with my life. So I enrolled in a business class at a local college, and began thinking constantly about starting my own business. 

  In February I stepped away from my nanny job and began working at a local cafe. Working there just increased my desire to run my own business. It was not the first cafe I had worked in, and I began weaving a dream cafe/vintage/handmade shop. I must admit, the thought still makes me swoon, but I have come to realize that it wont be a dream fulfilled any time soon! 

   Eventually my class ended and I switched to full time, but found myself getting restless. I loved the work, the customers, my co-workers, and my bosses, but there was just something missing... I wasn't feeling passionate about my work. I wasn't excited or even motivated to get to work, so when June finally came, and Daniel finished up teaching, I informed my bosses that the three weeks I had booked off for the summer would be a permanent "off". I felt terrible, as I knew it wasn't the best timing for them, but I felt so relieved to be moving forward, even though I wasn't sure what direction I was headed. 

   The three weeks I had originally booked off were to go to Bolivia with Daniel. We had a wedding to attend there and were going to take the opportunity to explore some of South America. My plan was to decide while we were there what my next step would be, to return to university or college, find a job, or jump in and start a small business. 
  It took me a little longer than that three weeks to truly let go of all the "what if" questions and allow myself to pursue what I really wanted: to start a small, at home, handmade business. 

   So, that is my new phase! Pursuing this dream to create for a living. I have been creating the majority of my life, and am so excited to make that in intimate part of my everyday. 

   Phew, that was a little lengthly! Hopefully I haven't scared you off yet. I'd like to invite you to follow me on these new journeys as wife, dog parent, and soon-to-be entrepreneur. I'll be doing my best to update often with all the things I love. 

   Thanks for reading!

             Jordan B. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from readers, so don't be afraid to say "hi"!