Tuesday, 20 August 2013

5 Things: That Surprised Me About Pregnancy


Yikes! I'm almost halfway through my 33rd week guys (that's about 7.5 months for those of you who aren't pregnant and therefore count time in months)! I know I still have a ways to go still, but I noticed a "pin" with a similar title and thought it would make a perfect blog post.
   Pregnancy is not something I was oblivious about prior to becoming pregnant. I'm the second oldest of 5, so I watched my Momma carry my three younger siblings, and give birth to the last two. Then I watched my sister carry her little girl, Taylor, and little boy, Davie. So, I think I went into this pregnancy thinking I knew more than I actually did.

1. "Morning" sickness is an inaccurate name.
    First off, I NEVER thought I'd be one of the "lucky ones" (sarcasm) who got morning sickness. I figured that, since my mom and my sister never experienced it, I'd probably be fine. Maybe a bit nauseous once or twice, but I did not anticipate MONTHS of feeling sick, throwing up, gagging at random smells, and total exhaustion.


Daniel's surprise birthday party, July 27th
2. Not feeling more maternal.
     I think I expected something to switch over in my brain the day I found out I was pregnant. When that didn't happen, I expected it would maybe happen when I first felt the baby move, or when my bump started. But actually, I STILL don't feel very maternal.
   I am not oogling baby clothes, or even other people's babies. I'm not frantically collecting all the baby things I could possibly need (well, I have lots of baby things, but more on that later). I'm not reading all the baby books I can get my hand on... in fact I think I have 4 that I have barely even cracked into. I have barely made any effort to take regular belly shots.All those mommyish things seem to be lacking.
 I definitely feel more maternal than I did in the first week, but there really hasn't been a moment when everything clicked; it's been more of a gradual progression. I have been blaming it on the business of my life since I have been pregnant, and also the lack of "home" for nearly the entire pregnancy. I feel like I am still waiting for it, maybe the pain of natural childbirth will be the enough to jolt me into reality?

3. People love giving you things when you are pregnant.
   It isn't really surprising to me that people are generous, but I am totally blown away by HOW generous people have been. Like I said, I have not been out stock piling baby clothes and toys, in fact I can list all the baby things I have bought (since pregnant) quite easily: one knit sleeper (consignment), a little sailor dress (thrift store), a vibrating bouncy baby chair (thrift store, $5), a second hand crib, and the two pairs of baby moccasins I used when telling Daniel I was pregnant (Joe Fresh). That is actually it. I also have a little vintage wool jacket I bought while still in high school, but that was LONG before I was preggers.
   I cannot list all of the baby stuff I have been given. I have clothes, diapers, toys, pretty much everything I need. My family has been so generous, and even more surprising is the random friends of friends who have provided me with countless baby items. Honestly, I am blown away.


Telling Daniel... 

4. I don't always love it.
  Please don't send me hate mail for writing this, because I know pregnancy is supposed to be this beautiful experience, but, I'm just not feelin' it. It's not all bad, I love my baby, I love feeling it move (most of the time), but beyond that... it's really not that awesome. I feel like my body has been taken over: I'm tired, I have more zits than I had in high school, I'm heavy, I'm moody, I'm needy. It's just weird guys. I can't rearrange my living room, I can't just use a basket when I go shopping, I can't lay on my back or my stomach, I have to know where the closest bathroom is at all times. AND I'm whining about it. Not constantly, and not to everyone, but trust me, I've become one of those whiny pregnant ladies.

5. This baby is never still.
   When I went for my second ultrasound, the technician had a hard time getting measurements because Baby was in a bad position. He kept saying, "Oh yes, your baby is always moving." At the time I had not yet felt Baby move, but now I know... he was very right. For some reason I assumed that babies were mostly asleep in the womb, and only moved around a little bit. But this kid is ACTIVE! Since the first time I felt movement, it's been pretty constant. Baby sleeps when I sleep, but if I am up, sitting, standing, whatever-- Babes is swimming laps, doing karate, ballet dancing, and playing rugby.

 I will probably write a similar post once baby has actually arrived, but until then, what was most surprising for you during your pregnancy?

***please note that this is quite tongue and cheek. I don't think I am a bad person, or a bad mother for feeling (or not feeling) certain things, it's honestly just surprising!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Jordan for the honesty! One thing I felt when I was pregnant was there were people who just loved to tell me how wonderful, how great it was to be pregnant. And then there were those that loved to tell me how horrible and torturous pregnancy was for them. I just wanted a middle ground. A realistic "yeah it's exciting and wonderful to be growing a little human being but it's tiring, uncomfortable, and not fun too!" As for the maternal bonding thing, I totally understand. I told my husband that sometimes it felt like a little alien was in me. I started making an effort to talk to my belly. It felt wierd but really helped me feel like I was bonding with the baby. Something I have really had to reconcile in myself though was that some people are more maternal in the lovey, dovey gushy way. And that doesn't make me a bad mom or them a better one. I've seen you protecting that little one with your hand on your belly and that warms my heart:) blessings on the journey to mommyhood, it sure is an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! You were right! I relate to pretty much everything in this post! I haven't gone through the "nesting" thing yet, I make clothes for a living for crying out loud and haven't made one baby thing yet! I think you are more tired than you expected you'd be and time goes by super fast. If I didn't know any better I'd say I wrote this post myself! But think of how exciting it'll be when it's over and little babies are here!

    Oh also, our ultrasound guy kept commenting on how much the baby was moving and making jokes about how much caffeine did I have that day, we get the award for most active baby, etc. So it'll be interesting to see how that plays out once the baby is here!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers, so don't be afraid to say "hi"!